This training is aimed at helping you in your work with people who self-injure. It is divided into two main parts. The first part focuses on helping you gain an increased understanding of self-injury such as functions of self-injury and emotional dynamics that are often involved. The second part focuses on helping you learn complementary conceptual and practical ways to approach therapeutic work with someone who self-injures.
Main topics covered include
- what self-injury is
- functions and meanings it can serve
- self-injury’s relationship to suicide
- common dynamics in self-injury and contributing factors
- overarching frameworks for helping
- concrete ideas for how to help when the focus of conversation is on self-injury
Additional modules available include
- enhancing self-capacities through working with emotion and through cultivating mindfulness and compassion
- assisting during a self-injury crisis
If your organization or group would like me to provide programs and/or training in this area, please feel welcome to contact me about this.